Vegetable Oil 1 tablespoon
Peeled Beets 6 cups
Onion 1 cups
Granny Smith Apples 3 cups
Salt 1 ½ teaspoon
Fresh Ground Pepper ½ teaspoon
Apple Cider 5 cups
Sour Cream ½ cup
Dried Mustard 1 teaspoon
- Make the soup: heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high flame.
- Add the beets and onions and cook until onions softens about 5 mins.
- Add the apples and cook for 5 more mins then add 1 tsp salt, pepper, 4 cups cider, and 4 cups of water.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until beets are tendered (about 40 mins).
- Puree small batches of soup in a blender until smooth, adding remaining cider as necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Bring soup to room temperature and chill until ready to serve.
Make sour cream mixture: Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and serve a tbsp. of the mixture with each serving.